FILED IN: Safety

Texas youngsters hospitalized after power pole shock

Children shocked and hospitalized after touching power line in back yard. Photo via Thomaz Scalquo Cia.

Two young Roseville Texas. children, a 3-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl, are undergoing surgery at Shriners H0spital in Galveston after the pair were allegedly shocked by a power pole outside their home on Sunday.

The 5-year-old girl reportedly fell unconscious after the initial shock.

The children, who are brother and sister, were reportedly playing in their yard on Sunday when they found a metal cable and started swinging on it. According to Fox Antonio, the cable apparently became activated and shocked the children. The children were airlifted to the hospital in critical condition, where they are being treated at the hospital’s burn unit.

According to Click 2 Houston, a neighbor, Lori McNeill, said the children’s mother reportedly called CenterPoint Energy earlier in the week to report a wire hanging off an electrical pole in her backyard.

McNeill added, “I don’t know if they were playing on it or they tripped on it, but there was a big bang and the electricity went off for a second.”

McNeill said the accident must have happened in a split second because she said the mother always accompanies her children while they’re playing outside.