Toddler dies after being strangled by blind cord

3-year-old was in cot when she was found unconcious

Share with your friends


3-year-old was in cot when she was found unconcious

The girl, who lived in Sydney, was in found unconscious in her cot by her father at 1pm on Friday. He rushed her to hospital, where she was placed on a life support machine.

The name of the toddler has not been released to the media. Photo via SXC.HU.

At 11.50am today, her life support machine was switched off, said a police spokesperson. Her death is not being treated as suspicious.

It is unknown if the toddler was playing with the blind cord or if it became tangled around her neck as she slept, but the tragedy happens as Australian Police urge parents to watch their children more carefully, following a string of child safety incidents.

A six-year-old girl fell three metres out of a window onto concrete yesterday – fortunately she is now in a stable condition in hospital, although details of her injuries are unknown.


Since 1990, 15 children in Australia have been strangled or choked by blind or curtain cords – a figure which is steadily rising, despite plenty of advice to cut cords short and keep them unreachable.

Other advice included remembering that fly-screens are not designed to be child-proof, that windows should be locked if children are around and that furniture should not be placed near walls.

Share with your friends

  • As the grandfather of a child who died from blind cords, I can tell you that this has nothing to do with watching your kids. These deaths have occured in the same room as parents were. The deaths result from a lack of safe advice from government and industry, misleading advertising from companies claiming to supply child safe products. How many people are aware that on july 1 we got new national mandatory blind and curtain cord standards in Australia. This site would serve a far better purpose if it told the public that these standards exist and what they were. To suggest that this could have been avoided by vigilance is a nonsense and an insult to the family who are suffering enough.
    The data provided is incorrect. Medical staff advise that 8 to 12 children die on blind cords each year in Australia and one every two weeks in the USA . A study in Ireland last year revealed 300 deaths each year globally. Tying up cords does little to stop these deaths. The only safe way is to use cordless products. Visit the site to get the true facts.

  • Rebecca Phillips

    Well said John, twleve months ago our Son Brodie had a very close call with a blind cord, i am one of the lucky ones but i never take it for granted after reading your story and the one above i am so thankful for our dog. I felt like such an irrespnsible parent with all the critics i received over our incident but no matter how much you watch and try to ensure your child is safe things just happen. Your words and stats are great and the public should be more aware.
    I hope the family above have the right support and advise to get them through the tough times ahead. Big hugs and my thoughts go to you x