Bronx boy, 6, dies after being given Methadone

Boy accidentally given methadone out of a cold medicine bottle

Youngster dies after being given methadone in a cold medicine bottle. Photo via sxc photo.

A six year-old boy from Bronx, NY died on Monday, January 30th at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, after ingesting a half-tablespoon of methadone that had been stored in a DayQuil bottle. The boy, Carlos Rios Jr. was given the medicine by his father, who was giving the boy what he believed to be DayQuil to relieve his son’s cold symptoms.

He did not know that his wife had stored methadone in the medicine bottle. The father has not been charged with the death of the boy.

Soon after he administered the dose to his son, the boy began to complain of dizziness and his father told him to go lie down, but became worried when the child was unresponsive. He immediately dialed 911 and the EMS rushed the boy to Lincoln Hospital and then was transferred to Columbia Presbyterian, where he was pronounced dead.

Raquel DeLeon, 36 of Bronx, NY says that she had a prescription for the methadone, but authorities do not know why she would store it in a cold-medicine bottle. DeLeon has had two previous drug arrests and on Thursday was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/