FILED IN: Safety

Kentucky children find meth lab while walking in their neighborhood

Emergency workers examine a young boys hand after he inadvertently handled a piece from a meth lab - photo Daily News

Even in today’s world, a group of kids walking through their neighborhood would seem safe.  Not so on Wednesday, when several children came up on a methamphetamine lab in the yard of a neighbor.

The children had no idea what they had found reported bgdailynews.com.

Stephen Claborn and his twin Sean, along with other children from the Brookwood Mobile Home Park in Bowling Green Kentucky, saw a plastic bottle with liquid inside and a piece of tubing coming out of the top.  As 10-year-old Stephen picked it up, a neighbor looking out her window shouted for the boy to get away from the bottle.  At that point, the boy dropped the bottle and the neighbor placed the bottle in a plastic bag before calling the local police.

“It’s really scary,” said the boys’ mother, Michele Claborn. “I’m just glad they’re all OK.”

The chemicals used to make meth are highly combustible and poisonous.  Since those chemicals touched Stephen, the clothes he was wearing had to be thrown away and he had to immediately bathe.

The children’s discovery enraged Tammy Allen, whose daughter, Cydney Romines, 13, was with the boys when they found the lab.

“It could have possibly blowed up on them, and they could have been killed,” Allen said. “I’d like to see every single person involved in this be put in jail.

“If they can’t be safe in their own yard, where can they be safe? Right now I’m very angry, very frustrated;” reported the bgdailynews.com.

One of the children in the group, Mandy Meade, 11 was concerned that they had not learned what a meth lab looks like or to what extreme the dangers really are.  Mandy said she never knew a cola bottle could be anything more than just a cola bottle.

Mandy asked Bowling Green-Warren County Drug Task Force Director Tommy Loving to please send someone into her school to warn other kids.

“I’m just glad nothing ever happened,” Mandy said. “They (meth cooks) should not be acting like a little kid themselves and experimenting.”

The essential ingredient to making meth – pseudoephedrine – should be harder to obtain.  Limiting access to the drug would significantly decrease the number of meth labs in Kentucky, Loving said.

“We can nearly eliminate the problem of meth labs and children being injured by them if we can convince the Kentucky legislature to take the simple step of making pseudoephedrine a prescription drug,” Loving said. “Those in the legislature that don’t support this really need to listen to law enforcement and not the drug companies that make millions of dollars in profit from selling pseudoephedrine.”

The incident remains under investigation. As of press time, no arrests had been made.

http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2011/11/03/news/news1.txt