A 6 year-old-boy was left briefly unattended last night in his suburban Chicago home while his aunt and 3 year-old-sister were upstairs, resulting in a terrible tragedy. The boy’s mother wasn’t present when his aunt found him lying underneath a heavy TV set that had fallen on him. Reportedly, upon finding the boy and failing to free the boy, the aunt screamed and cried frantically, asking neighbors to help lift the television off his little body.
It was too late. Medics and police arrived to find the boy unresponsive. He died upon arrival to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
According to the Chicago Sun Times, police believe the boy, Karl Clermont, may have tried to climb the television when it toppled over on him.
In 2009, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that 42,700 children died of TV or furniture topplings. While it is unknown what kind of television suffocated the little boy, there has been a documented increase in television tip-overs as the sale of flat screen TVs continue to rise. The reason for the increase may be due to the old sets being box-ier and heavier. Newer flat screen TVs are heavy enough to crush a child and easier to tip over. The average weight for a 47″ flat screen TV is about 63 lbs.