FILED IN: Tragic Endings

Minnesota teen reportedly dies from 2C-E drug overdose

Trevor Robinson. Photo: Facebook

A house party Thursday in Blaine, Minnesota, has led to tragedy with one young adult dead and 10 others hospitalized after taking the synthetic drug 2C-E.

Trevor Robinson, a 19-year-old from Coon Rapids, was taken off of life support and it is believed he overdosed on the drug, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Anoka County Sheriff Commander Paul Sommer told reporters that earlier in the day he had read that there had been no cases of overdoses related to 2C-E, and added, “Today, that’s no longer the case.”

Sommer also reportedly said that victims told him that “they had used the drug in drinks and some copped it into lines and snorted it.” He believes the group was not familiar with the drug and its effects, and “how much could make them overdose.”

The overdose victims ranged in age from 16- to 21-years-old, and many had to be tracked down by police after they had “fled” the party.

What is 2C-E?

2C-E is a “designer drug” described as a hallucinogenic, in the 2C drug family of chemical compounds. Users have reported “vivid hallucinations” not unlike those experienced after taking LSD. Taken in the usual dosage of 10-20mg, the drug’s effects generally last between six and ten hours.

Commonly sold as Europa, 2C-E is an “unscheduled” drug in the United States, meaning it does not fall under the purview of the Controlled Substances Act, putting it in a gray area that makes it legal to distribute and it is readily available on the Internet, often sold as a “research chemical.” A push to change that classification is likely to come as a result of the death of Trevor Robinson.