Preschooler dies at school, chokes to death at lunch

March 22nd, 2013 by | Permalink

4-year-old dies after choking to death on food while eating in school cafeteria. Photo via Dallas ISD.

A 4-year-old preschool boy is dead after he reportedly choked to death on food he consumed during lunch while attending pre-Kindergarten.

The incident happened on Thursday at the Mount Auburn Elementary School in Dallas, Texas. The victim’s name is Manny Ramirez.

The boy apparently started choking after getting food lodged in his throat. According to WFAA, cafeteria workers noticed the boy struggling to breath while he was having lunch with his friends. Cafeteria workers reportedly performed the Heimlich maneuver on him. A nurse was also called in to help the tot, who was able to dislodge the food and perform CPR.

Manny reportedly started breathing again, had color return to his face and even started talking, but then suffered a serious seizures and died en route to the hospital.

Spokeswoman Rebecca Rodriguez said, “At no point in time when he was distressed was he ever alone and we hope that brings some comfort [to his parents].”

School counselors on are on hand at the school Friday morning to help children cope with the loss of their classmate. A letter was also sent out to parents from the principal advising parents on how to speak to their children about the tragedy.

The letter read in part:

“It is with deep regret that we need to inform you of the death of one of our students who passed away today. Every life saving measure possible was administered. The incident occurred in the cafeteria and was observed by many of our students…Please be sensitive to changes in your child’s behavior.”

Best of the interwebs:

MORE ON THE WEB

 
1