Walmart pulls some Enfamil from shelves after newborn's death. Photo via Ron Dauphin Flickr Commons.
Wal-Mart has admitted to pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from stores across the nation after a Missouri newborn became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died.
Dianna Gee, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said Wednesday that the move is cautionary, pending the investigation conducted by health official into the death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Missouri. The boy was taken off life support on Sunday and dies soon after.
The product Walmart has removed from the shelves is the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder (lot number ZP1J7G). No government recall has been ordered for this product at this time.
Avery’s preliminary diagnosis was infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii, according to the Lebanon Daily Record .
Mead Johnson Nutrition, the manufacturer of the formula, claims that the batch Wal-Mart pulled tested negative for the bacterium. Christopher Perille, a spokesman for Mead Johnson Nutrition, says numerous companies sell the formula, though it’s he did not specify if others sold from that batch.
The views, opinions and information expressed in articles and blog posts published on imperfectparent.com and all subdomains are those of the authors alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Imperfect Parent or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of any entity of, or affiliated with, Imperfect Parent. The Imperfect Parent
is designed for entertainment
purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for medical, health,
legal, or financial advice from a professional.
of material from any of Imperfect Parent's pages without written
permission is strictly prohibited.